A “colossal” victory at Silverstone last weekend, but Max Verstappen modest ahead of this weekend’s race in hot Barcelona. Formula 1 sport director Ross Brown sees many similarities between Verstappen and seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher.
Narrow F1 calendar. After two races in Silverstone, the drivers had to travel directly to Spain. Next weekend, there will be a competition in Barcelona.
Max Verstappen arrives in Catalonia after a show of strength in the latest contest.
At Silverstone, Mercedes had tire problems in the heat, something that Red Bull could benefit from. Barcelona promised a 30-degree heat next weekend, but that means nothing for Verstappen.
Barcelona’s path is different. I think the Dutchman, ahead of the Grand Prix this weekend, we’ll see how strong we are against Mercedes this time and how the heat affects everyone.
With their victory last week, Verstappen climbed to second place in the World Cup Summary, after Valtteri Bottas. The distance to one Lewis Hamilton is 30 points.
The victory was a great achievement for stable and for Honda Verstappen summed up an amazing result, which came slightly unexpectedly.
1. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 107 points
2. Max Verstappen Red Bull 77
3 – Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes 73
4. Charles Leclerc Ferrari, 45
5. Lando Norris McLaren 38
6. Alexander Albon Red Bull, 36
7. Lance Stroll Racing Point 28
8. Sergio Perez Racing Point 22
9. Daniel Ricciardo Renault 20
10. Esteban Okon Renault 16
The last to impress the 22-year-old’s performance last week was Formula 1 sport director Ross Brown.
– It was just sexy. It reminds us of Michael Schumacher in many ways, praising Brown, who served as technical director for Benetton and Ferrari during the years that Chumi dominated.
Ross Brown looks at the camera.
Bild: / Press around
Valtteri Bottas comes to Spain with slightly worse memories of Verstappen’s Silverstone. In Sunday’s race, Finn’s position switched to third.
At the Grand Prix of Spain, Bottas tries to address frustration with Britain.
Frustration is really the right word. The results were not what we wanted, especially not in the second race in Silverstone, because you can’t aim for anything but victory when you start from square one.
– It was two completely different holidays in Silverstone, but I didn’t get the most out of myself in either race. Bottas commented at today’s press conference, we have learned a lot and we are moving now.
Valtteri Bottas in Barcelona on a rainy Thursday.
Valtteri Bottas walking in the rain with an umbrella.
Bild: Agence France-Presse
Especially tire control is something to focus on.
– We have a fast car and we were faster than others on some curves. Still, that’s not the complete explanation for why our tires are tearing more than other tires, and I think there’s another reason behind that as well. And we try to understand that better.