Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton were pretty much alike ahead of today’s Formula 1 finale in Abu Dhabi.
Since 24-year-old Verstappen had to start first, this was a small advantage for him.
Hamilton seemed to win
But after a great start, along with a poor start from Verstappen, Lewis Hamilton took a strong lead right away. He seemed to keep everything in goal.
But it has become more dramatic than it has been for a long time. Jumpon Nicholas Latifi crashed with five laps remaining, making a restart. Then Max Verstappen had to move to the starting roster after four skaters and start right behind Hamilton, he had brand new tires because he had just stopped. And so Hamilton’s brilliant lead disappeared.
– Finally I was a little lucky, he said in the official victory interview.
Verstappen’s first title
About halfway through the final lap, Verstappen circled Hamilton, ensuring that Hamilton would continue to share the record with Michael Schumacher, who holds seven World Cup titles.
Thus, the Dutchman Max Verstappen is the world champion for the first time.
– It’s incredible! I mean, you fought the whole race and got one last place on the last lap, says Verstappen.
– This is madness! I don’t know what to say… I love my stablemates, they deserve it so much.
“It was always a dream”
This title was Red Bull’s first since Sebastian Vettel in 2013, and Verstappen is the fourth youngest champion in Formula One history.
– It has always been a dream. Since I was young, my dream has been to win a Formula One race, as long as it was an achievement, he tells the international media.
And now he won the championship. The question is what will come in the future for the 24-year-old.
– Everything that comes in the future is a reward. But he says I am very happy.
“Coffee trailblazer. Passionate thinker. Creator. Hipster-friendly internet enthusiast.”