British David Stokes, who lives in Piggy, will attend Prince Philip’s funeral on Saturday. According to David Stokes, Prince Philip distinguished himself as a man of integrity and fairness who could relate to many.
– He really understood people. That’s what made many like him, Stokes says. He had experienced both war and loss. I believe he was the last in the wartime generation.
Prince Philip, Queen of Great Britain, husband of Elizabeth II, died on April 9 this year.
According to Stokes, Prince Philip was a practical man. He was interested in technology and wanted to push boundaries.
– I think many people driving today on a Range Rover in Finland did not know that Prince Philip helped design it. He learned to fly and flew as far as he could. He wanted to push the boundaries all the way, Stokes says.
Stock photo. Prince Philip is 99 years old.
Prince Philip raises his hand in a wave. The picture was taken in July 2020.
Built in: AFP
But what is the significance of the fact that the British royal family is left without such a visible and powerful person?
– It’s like being pulled under a carpet, because he’s always been, says Prince Stokes about Philip, who died at the age of 99.
As president of the Finnish-British Association in the Turkmen region, Stokes has spoken to other Britons in Finland, all saying the same thing: the sense of stability has been lost. It is also possible that after the death of Prince Phillips, the royal family no longer matched.
Both the Prince and the Queen have met
In 1972, when David Stokes was 16 years old, he met Prince Philip during an organized school trip to the castle in Louis, south of England.
– I have in my head a wonderful picture of how Prince Philip behaves to shake hands with everyone, and I’m included, asking questions, Stokes says. I do not remember what he asked me, but it must have been a beautiful summer day.
As Stokes says, I expected Prince Philip to meet, and that was a big deal. Three years later, while studying horticulture at the Royal Horticultural Society, Stokes also had the opportunity to meet Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain.
This figure depicting Queen Elizabeth is actually a pepper plant.
An image of the Queen of Great Britain. The figure is placed in the chest pocket of the jacket.
Photo: Yle / Pontus Nyqvist
Interest in royalty is even stronger
David Stokes believes that people are eager to follow what is happening in royal families because they want to experience something they cannot achieve – this is a completely foreign life for him.
– Being with celebrities means that we need it in our lives. We want something we can’t get, but we want the opportunity to almost touch it, Stokes says.
“The End of an Era”
On Saturday, David Stokes will sit in front of the radio and TV or, yes, the computer for Prince Phillips’ funeral.
The situation raises many thoughts in Stokes.
– This is the end of an era. I believe changes will occur within the next 20 years. I think keeping England together will be a big challenge in the future, Stokes says.