The 2021 Tokyo Olympics secretly begins on July 21 with the women’s soccer tournament and the next day the men’s starts.
Sweden plays on the women’s team and plays in the same group as the USA, Australia and New Zealand.
The matches will be played in the morning and afternoon Swedish time, with the finals scheduled for August 6 (women) and August 7 (men).
Here’s everything you need to know about football at the 2021 Olympics.
Who broadcasts football in the 2021 Olympics?
Like the rest of the Olympic Games, the Discovery Group owns the football rights and the matches will be broadcast on Channels 5, Channel 9, Channel 11, Eurosport and Eurosport 2 and on Discovery Plus.
Discovery hasn’t offered a shipping schedule yet.
Football at the 2021 Olympics (Women) – Quarter-finals
- Quarter-final 1: Canada and Brazil
time: July 30 10.00 place: Miyagi Stadium TV channel: Discovery Plus
- Quarter-final 2: Great Britain and Australia
time: July 30 11.00 place: Ibraki Kashima Stadium TV channel: Discovery Plus
- Quarter-final 3: Sweden and Japan
time: July 30 12.00 place: Saitama Stadium TV channel: Channel 5 and Discovery Plus
- Quarter-final 4: Netherlands – USA
time: July 30 13.00 place: Yokohama International Stadium TV channel: Discovery Plus
Football matches at the 2021 Olympics (women) on Monday 2 August
Football matches at the 2021 Olympics (women) on Thursday, August 5
Football matches at the 2021 Olympics (women) on Friday, August 6
Where will football be played at the 2021 Olympics in Tokyo?
Football at the 2021 Olympics is distributed in seven different arenas across Japan.
- Sapporo Dome
- Miyagi Stadium
- Tokyo Stadium
- Ibraki Kashima Stadium
- Yokohama International Stadium
- Saitama Stadium
- Olympic Stadium
The women’s final and the bronze match will be held at the Olympic Stadium, while the men’s final will be held at the International Stadium in Yokohama.
Football at the 2021 Olympics (Women) – All categories
- Group E: Great Britain, Chile, China and Brazil
- Sixth group: Japan, Canada, Zambia and the Netherlands
- Group G: Sweden, USA, Australia and New Zealand
The first, second and best three go to the quarter-finals
Sweden national football team at the 2021 Olympics
goalkeepers: Hedvig Lindahl, Atletico Madrid, Jennifer Falk, PK Haken.
Defender: Hanna Glass, Bayern Munich, Magdalena Ericsson, Chelsea, Amanda Elstedt, Bayern Munich, Jonah Anderson, Chelsea, Natalie Björn, FC Rosengard, Emma Kohlberg, BK Haken.
Midfielder: Caroline Seeger, FC Rosengard, Kosovare Aslani, Real Madrid, Hanna Benison, FC Rosengard, Philippa Engeldahl, PK Haken.
attacker: Fridolina Rulfo, Wolfsburg, Lena Hurtig, Juventus, Sofia Jacobson, Real Madrid, Stena Blackstenius, BK Haken, Olivia Shaw, FC Rosengard, Madeleine Januji, Hammarby.
Reserves: Zesera Mosovich, Chelsea, Julia Rodar, Washington, Anna Unvegaard, FC Rosengard, Rebecca Blomqvist, Wolfsburg.
Football at the Olympic Games 2021 (Women’s) – Day by day schedule with Sweden time
Football at the 2021 Olympics (women) – matches on Wednesday, July 21
- 9.30 Great Britain – Chile (Group E)
- 10.00 China – Brazil (Group E)
- 10.30 Sweden – USA (Group G)
- 12.30 Japan – Canada (Group F)
- 13.00 Zambia – Netherlands (Group F)
- 14.00 Australia – New Zealand (Group G)
Football at the 2021 Olympics (Women) – Saturday, July 24
- 9.30 Chile – Canada
- 10.00 China and Zambia
- 10.30 Sweden and Australia
- 12.30 Japan – United Kingdom
- 13.00 Netherlands – Brazil
- 13.30 New Zealand – USA
Football in the 2021 Olympics (Women) – Tuesday, July 27th matches
- 10.00 New Zealand and Sweden
- 10.00 USA – Australia
- 13.00 Chile – Japan
- 13.00 Canada – United Kingdom
- 13.30 Brazil – Zambia
- 13:30 Netherlands – China
Football at the 2021 Olympics (Men) – All Categories
- Group A: Mexico, France, Japan and South Africa
- Group B: New Zealand, South Korea, Honduras and Romania
- Group C: Egypt, Spain, Argentina and Australia
- Group D: Ivory Coast, Saudi Arabia, Brazil and Germany
The first and second in all groups go to the quarter-finals.
Football at the Olympic Games 2021 (Men) – Day by day schedule with Sweden time
Football at the 2021 Olympics (Men) – matches on Thursday, July 22
- 9.30 Egypt – Spain
- 10.00 Mexico and France
- 10.00 New Zealand – South Korea
- 10.30 Côte d’Ivoire – Saudi Arabia
- 12.30 am Argentina – Australia
- 13.00 Japan – South Africa
- 13.00 Honduras and Romania
- 13.30 Brazil-Germany
Football at the 2021 Olympics (Men) – matches on Sunday, July 25
- 9.30 Egypt and Argentina
- 10.00 New Zealand and Honduras
- 10.00 France – South Africa
- 10.30 Brazil and Ivory Coast
- 12:30 Australia and Spain
- 13.00 Romania – South Korea
- 13.00 Japan and Mexico
- 13.30 Saudi Arabia – Germany
Football at the 2021 Olympics (men) – matches on Wednesday, July 28
- 10.00 Germany – Ivory Coast
- 10.00 Saudi Arabia – Brazil
- 10.30 Romania and New Zealand
- 10.30 South Korea – Honduras
- 13.00 Australia – Egypt
- 13.00 Spain – Argentina
- 13:30 South Africa – Mexico
- 13.30 France and Japan
Football at the 2021 Olympics (men) – Saturday 31 July matches
- Spain – Ivory Coast 5-2
- Japan vs New Zealand 4-2 (after penalties)
- Brazil-Egypt 1-0
- South Korea – Mexico 3-6
Football at the 2021 Olympics (men) – matches on Tuesday 3rd August
- 10.00 Mexico and Brazil
- 13.00 Japan – Spain
Football at the 2021 Olympics (men) – matches on Friday, August 6
Football in the 2021 Olympics (men) – matches on Saturday 7 August
“Extreme tv maven. Beer fanatic. Friendly bacon fan. Communicator. Wannabe travel expert.”