A painful and miscalculated start to the season MercedesBut ahead of the UK GP in F1, the stableman dares to talk about his chances of winning.
– It would be fantastic, says Lewis Hamilton.
In 2022, Mercedes had a very reliable car and George Russell was no worse than fifth in any race, but last time out in Canada the car didn’t win any races, despite Lewis Hamilton finishing third.
The stable was not entirely successful with the interpretation of the rules this year and had major problems with the car bouncing around the track.
However, a change may now occur. Before the tenth round of the season, positive voices are suddenly heard.
– At the factory, they wouldn’t dare say it, but we are cautiously confident that we can compete this weekend, says Mercedes technical manager James Allison to Sky.
– I think the nature of the track suits the car. I don’t think we have the car to win from the first start, but if we can get the car through the Maggots and Becketts and the fast corners, we have a good chance of getting a good result this weekend. Red Bull is faltering….but I’m optimistic.
Hamilton confident at Silverstone
Mercedes has historically been very successful at Silverstone. Lewis Hamilton has taken pole position seven times and won the UK GP title eight times. He has won three of the last four GP races at the track.
– Wolff says that if we give him a car that means he’s only a few tenths behind the leader, Lewis will win the race. Reuters.
– I believe we can give him a good car, something closer to the top than we had before.
Hamilton joins Michael Schumacher as the only driver to win eight times at the same track. No driver has ever won at the same track nine times.
– We are working towards our first victory in 2022 and if it happens this weekend it will be fantastic, says Lewis Hamilton.
He won his first UK GP title in 2008. He later drove for McLaren-Mercedes.
Little news in F1 is the UK GP
Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc will take on a new engine ahead of the Canadian GP and is highly motivated to challenge Red Bull, who have won the last six races. He was third in qualifying for F1 at Silverstone, but team-mate Carlos Sainz has taken pole position.
– Leclerc says the next four races will be very important.
This means Ferrari is investing everything in July – there are four races in as many weeks and then the summer holidays await.
Here are the results of the upcoming qualifiers UK GP in F1:
Eligibility Classification 👀
– Formula 1 (@F1) July 2, 2022
Williams chose to update Alexander Alban’s car, while Nicolas Latifi was allowed to drive an earlier version of the car. Alphonse dropped out in Q1 and was so frustrated that Latifi moved into Q2 for the first time this year.
Once there, he set a good time and moved into Q3 for the first time this year. It was a surprise for the qualifiers.
At Alfa Romeo, Zhou once again beat Valtteri Bottas. The Chinese are getting better and better at their cars. We can also observe that Fernando Alonso thrives in the rain. Again, he placed in Q3.
Aston Martin and Haas, on the other hand, have sad faces. Aston Martin is still slow, and despite the updates, Haas seems to be winning on the same track as in previous years – the car is good at the start of the season and takes points, but then falls further down the field. Neither MAG nor MSC have a real chance of advancing to Q2.
Coincidentally, qualifying for the UK GP at Silverstone was rained out, but it could be a dry race. There is only a 20 percent chance of rain.
It’s time for F1-Live again tomorrow. I start at 15.45. You find out Live on F1-Target service.
“Passionate beer ninja. Extreme problem solver. Thinker. Professional web fan. Avid communicator. Hardcore troublemaker.”