Alquist and Lundback beat Serbian Borislava Brick Ranković and Neda Matic 2-0 in matches, players they lost to in the semi-finals of the 2016 Paralympics and in the final of the European Championships 2019.
The win was 3-1 in the first double, 11-8, 9-11, 11-7, 11-7.
– It felt incredibly good right from the start in the double.. We analyzed the video all morning and had a tactic. But you never know if it will last, Ahlquist says.
– But I felt from the start that it went well. We were a little careless in the second set, a little unnecessary, but we found our way back in the third when we reminded each other of what we had to work for and for.
I got arrogant for a while
Then he met veteran Alquist and Berek Ranković, both 49 years old. Ahlquist has a lower rank, that is, a greater disability than a Serbian. But the Swede didn’t give the Serb a chance, winning 11-4, 11-3, 11-8.
– There are always tough matches against her, she is usually very difficult and I know I can’t give her anything for free. I got a little anxious after the first set, it went so easily. Then after the second set, too. Then I felt a little arrogant in the third, so I had to step back to not let her into the match. I know how good she is, I know how experienced she is and I know I have to be on my toes all the time, says Alquist.
– Until 3-7 I was suffering from arrogance, but then I calmed down and reminded myself that I had to work for it. You don’t get anything for free.
The Swedes found the reason for a seemingly simple win against Serbia in the gym before the team competition.
– Then we found out that there are slightly different conditions in this room, where the game goes very slowly and the ball stops. We worked on that, that I need to get past the table and I need to be more active in my game. I saw that the Serbs had the same problem that we did and we fell on the same balls that we also fell in the singles match.
“Grateful for the lessons”
She says there are a number of things that can affect the conditions of the hall, the roof, the carpeting, and the ceiling height, for example.
– I was so worried about losing the singles in the quarter-finals, but I’m grateful for the lessons, and it’s nice to have that win.
In the final on Friday, China awaits, who defeated Great Britain in the semi-finals with a score of 2-0 in matches.
– It would be exciting. We know it will be difficult. “But we’ve beaten the players before and we’re going to do everything we can in that match,” says Alquist.
“Coffee trailblazer. Passionate thinker. Creator. Hipster-friendly internet enthusiast.”