After an agreement in 2018, South and North Korea reduced each side’s military presence within the demilitarized zone, which separates the two countries. But last week, the agreement was shaken by a new conflict.
On Tuesday, North Korea launched a spy satellite. South Korea said the measure violated the agreement and demanded the resumption of air surveillance at the border. For its part, North Korea warned against deploying heavy weapons in the region.
This may have happened now, according to South Korean news agency Yonhap.
Pictures show the renovation
Pictures taken on the North Korean side of the border show how new trenches have been dug. Also visible are what the South Korean Defense Ministry identified as new temporary guards, soldiers armed with grenade launchers.
“Only a few of the guards are now undergoing restoration work, but the North is expected to restore all of them because they are essential facilities for surveillance,” a senior South Korean military official said at a press conference on Monday, according to Yonhap.
The rebuilding of the guard posts was supposed to begin on Friday.
The South Korean Ministry of Defense has not yet determined how it will respond to North Korea, but stated that “retaliatory measures” will be taken.
– It depends on the enemy’s actions. It was North Korea that took action and broke trust… We will take retaliatory measures. General Kim Myung-soo says, according to Yonhap, that not taking any action would be even more foolish.
North Korea informed Japan of this before the dictatorship launched the spy satellite last week. According to the country’s propaganda channel KCNA, the Malligyong-1 satellite was supposed to be launched from the Sohae base on Tuesday morning local time. Just minutes later, it was in orbit around Earth Reuters.
“Unapologetic writer. Bacon enthusiast. Introvert. Evil troublemaker. Friend of animals everywhere.”