Complete British News World

Italian researchers have developed an edible battery

Italian researchers have developed an edible battery

where Which they say That, in the words of the researchers, they succeeded in developing the first ever edible battery.

The battery, which consists, among other things, of nori, a seaweed commonly included in sushi, may be useful, for example, in medical equipment that a patient needs to take.

thus The researchers hope The rechargeable battery will eventually make diagnosing and treating gastrointestinal diseases safer.

Seaweed and vitamins

The battery consists of two electrodes, a cathode and an anode. The cathode is connected to the positive electrode of the battery, the positive electrode to the negative electrode.

Edible battery contains an anode of riboflavin, also called vitamin B2, which is found in almonds, among other things. The battery cathode is made of quercetin, which is known to have a positive effect on the immune system.

Both substances are found naturally in a number of plants and other foods. To increase conductivity, researchers also use activated carbon.

Hear one of the researchers talk about the invention here:

The battery electrolyte, which connects the two electrodes, is water-based, while the separator, which prevents short circuiting, is made of nori.

Finally, two gold foil contacts approved for food use are included, as well as a coating of beeswax around the anode and cathode.

When fully charged, the battery, with a voltage of 0.65 volts, can deliver a current of 48 microamps for twelve minutes.

The electric current is modest, but according to the researchers, it is sufficient to power small electronic devices, such as low-power LED lights.

In the long term, according to the researchers, one can imagine that the battery will not only be usable in operating rooms but also, for example, in toys that might end up in children’s mouths.

The research group is already developing smaller batteries with more capacity.

See also  A Chinese missile weighing about 20 tons fell to the ground